Sunday, May 22, 2011



Wk 3 reading: The Art of Possibility

The Art of Possibility reminds me a lot of another book, The Zen of Pooh. Both books served to expand your thinking. They try to help you 'realize your true greatness' without being too cliche. In the reading, I related most to chapters 6 and 7. As a teacher, the sooner you learn not to take yourself too seriously, the better and more fulfilling your work becomes. When new teachers come to the Village and ask about tips for planning classes, I always give the same advice. Think about what you would like to do for 90 minutes, then make a lesson about that. If it will keep you engaged and entertained, your students will also enjoy and learn from it. As for 'the way things are', I liked the distinction that was made between lowering expectations and making a starting point for improvement. For me, accepting the way things are does not mean settling for less than. It just means acknowledging what the situation is and working with what you have. A long time ago, one of my mom's co-workers said something that has stayed with me. "Grow where you are planted". I think that if you keep this in mind, 'the way things are' turns into a challenge for greatness rather than a restraint.

No comments: