Saturday, May 28, 2011


Wk 4 Reading: The Framework for the Board

I really enjoyed "A New Children's Story" in ch 11. I also think that it was no coincidence that it was the chapter following "Being a Board. When I was in middle school, we learned about using 'I' language in situations of conflict. For example, instead of saying "you are mean" you would say "I feel hurt when...". Ch 10 brought that back for me. In both cases, it is about owing your situation instead of allowing others to control it. Using 'I' language, or being the board, makes you feel less helpless. So, how does that relate to ch 11? Well, being the board is something that comes with age and practice. Most second graders are not ready to be the board. The teacher, understanding the situation, created the framework that her students needed. Instead of seeing the baldness as something to fear, it was just another possibility, as the book stated. Had the students been older, the girl most likely could have conveyed this on her own. Instead, the teacher used it as a teaching moment, something that would benefit the students both then and in the future.

2 comments:

Jeri said...

Jazmin,
I agree it is similar to using the "I" language we learned about years ago. I would like to think I would be the type of teacher to shave my head in that situation. I am not sure that the scenario would have played out the same with older students. Knowing how many peer relationships have gone bad in my own teen years and in my daughter's (she is living it now), I don't know that an "I" message would cut it. I am also pretty sure the teacher shaving her head would have less impact then a group of peers.

I think the book was a super positive read and really has me re-evaluating the things in my life.

BDMcGee said...

I was not talk to use the “I” language or I do not recall it however it is an excellent concept and I will remember to use it with my students. I grew up a victim to bullying and allowed myself to be the victim but I grew up and regained my control and it helped me to develop in my later life. I really enjoyed this book and will continue to share this book with others.